Sunday, November 6, 2011

Using Digi's X-CTU Application Under Linux To Configure Xbee Modems

Digi's X-CTU application is for configuring and testing Xbee modems. It works great but is windows only.

While rebooting into windows just to configure an xbee was a pain it worked. But this is no longer an option now that I no longer keep a windows installation on my machine. I needed a solution!

Using wine I was easily able to use X-CTU's window installer and run the application. Only one problem... I received a nice little a program error when attempting to add my USB device as a com port.

fubr?

Turns out X-CTU is looking for a dos device. I needed to make a soft link in ~/.wine/dosdevices to my USB device using the ln bash command:

$ ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com20

com20 is what the cool kids use. 
If you want to use something else go ahead and be lame.

Now when I try to add com port "com20" and query the modem... it works!

Great... now get back to doing stuffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment